Adore Dolls Parlour is one of the most popular nail art salons in Australia. Located on the sunny Gold Coast, these guys have won hearts and nails of many. Their clients have included Lorde and Snoop Dog. They are young, fearless and super talented! No wonder clients are willing to fly interstate just to get their nails done here.
When I visited the salon a couple of months ago, I was smitten by the charisma of Nicole Hague, the salon owner and founder. As a 23 years old, Nicole is a great example of how far hard work and passion can take you. Her positive energy is contagious. I can be pretty grumpy of a morning, yet after our interview I left smiling and feeling motivated.Her salon would be right at home in Soho or New York, yet it’s right here on Australia’s beautiful Gold Coast. So next time you’re in the area, put it on your ‘must see’ list.
So here’s our interview where Nicole shares some of her nail art secrets and career tips! Read on lovelies.
NAIL FILE: Nicole Hague, founder and owner of Adore Dolls Parlour Australia
1. Why nails? Because – nails over everything.
2. When did you open your salon? Adore Dolls Parlour has been running since 2010. We relocated to our Varsity Lakes HQ in 2013.
3. To run your own nail salon is a big job, how do you overcome the challenges and find time do everything? I definitely don’t have time to do everything I’d like, as owning your own salon (that’s always flat out) and managing a team is a 24/7. But I’m slowly learning that balance is key! I honestly can’t complain though – I love what I do!
4. Highlights of your career, achievements? Where to start? First of all being part of such an insanely talented group of individuals has to top the list! I have worked backstage at RAFW for Romance Was Born, been published in magazines such as Cosmopolitan, Gold Coast Magazine, Nail Pro Magazine, Nails Magazine & have been lucky enough to nail some well known names; Snoop Dogg, Lorde & TV Personalties from Georgie Shore, The Bachelor, The Voice, Big Brother & Beauty & The Geek.
5. Nail care product you can’t live without right now is… Joss Cuticle Oil (strawberry flavour).
6. The best nail care tip? Have a healthy, balanced diet!
7. Favourite nail polish brand? OPI, China Glaze, MAC Cosmetics
8. Your favourite nail strengthener? I’m probably the wrong person to ask as I have acrylics on 24/7. I have heard OPI Nail Envy Is great though!
9. The worst thing for your nails is… Ripping off acrylics!!
10. Favorite pattern/nail art trend? Ohhh there is so many! Ice-creams, donuts, chevron print and of course, leopard print – never gets old!
11. The most adventurous/most challenging nail art you have ever created? Adventurous nails are what I love doing most! The most challenging would be perfecting encapsulated roses, I’ve also done a full set of Simpsons themed nails along with a lot of other characters/TV shows.
12. The most interesting campaign you have ever worked on and why? MAC Cosmetics are flying me up to work with them today actually! So I’m pretty sure this will be my most interesting but I won’t be able to let any secrets out until later ;)
13. Your prediction for the new season: what nail designs and effects will be hot in 2015? I think a lot of sophisticated nail art will be in, along with more encapsulated art and I think negative space will still be in for a while.
14. One piece of advice would you give someone wanting to open their own nail art salon? Don’t try to copy someone else! You were born an individual, embrace that and do your thang! People will appreciate that and will continue to stick with you, eg. you can’t out Apple, Apple.
Five Fast Nail Questions:
- Gold or Silver? Silver
- Gel or polish? For nail art? Polish all the way! I love neat clean lines, some gels can look messy and don’t have as much pigment.
- Short or long? Lonnnnnnnnnng!?
- Nail icon? My team members! There is no one like them out there!
- When in doubt do… Nude or black! With a feature finger, of course. Both colours are classy, timeless and match nearly any outfit!
Nicole Hague interviewed and photographed by Maria Vlezko in Adore Dolls Parlour salon in Gold Coast, August 2014. Nail art images – Adore Dolls Parlour.