With 14 years in the industry, numerous magazine covers and manicuring celebrities like Kylie Minogue and Naomi Campbell, Amie Surtees of Miss Betty Rose is one of the leading Australian nail stylists. At the recent Australian Fashion Week there were only 2 shows that had full on, statement nail art – Leroy Nguyen and Hayley Elsaesser, both were Aime’s work. Today Aimee shares some of her nail art secrets and a few helpful tips for anyone wants to make it big as a professional nail stylist.
So read on lovelies, and make sure you scroll through the gallery (above) to see Aimee’s greatest hits! – Maria, xx
NAIL FILE: Miss Betty Rose, Freelance Nail Stylist, Sydney, Australia
1. Why nails? I have always loved how dramatically nails transform the hands, an outfit, a mood.
2. How did you get into the industry? I was lucky enough to receive a scholarship when I was 17 at the Australasian Beauty College. I’ve been obsessed ever since.
3. Highlights of your career: Hard work does pay off! In my 14 years a Nail Stylist my work has been published in magazines such as Harpers Bazaar, Vogue, V Magazine, Oyster, Culture, Cleo, Elle and most recently shot the cover with Vogue. I have also had the pleasure of manicuring celebrities such as P!NK, Kylie Minogue, Eva Longoria, Jessica Alba, Naomi Campbell, Megan Gale, Delta Goodrem and many other Australian TV and Film stars. At the recent MBFWA I was the official Nail Stylist for design up and comers Leroy Nguyen and Hayley Elsaesser. Was a huge highlight watching my hand painted nail creations strut down the catwalk.
4. Nail care product you can’t live without right now is... Seche Vite Top Coat. This top coat makes a manicure.
5. The best nail care tip? The biggest problem I see in peoples nails is dehydration. Cuticle Oil is essential for all over nail health. I swear by CND Solar Oil.
6. Favourite nail polish brand? FROU FROU Polish By Miss Frou Frou. This polish is made for the consumer. Colour density is amazing! So for girls on the go, one coat and your out the door. Stunning colour range and all Australian owned.
7. Your favourite top coat? Seche Vite of course!
8. Your favourite nail strengthener? Revitanail seems to be a winner with most of my clients. Always use in conjunction with a quality cuticle oil for optimal results.
9. The worst thing for your nails is…. Peeling off nail enhancements. Big No No! Please make sure you have them removed professionally by your technician.
10. Favorite pattern/nail art trend? I am still a huge fan of Monochrome nails, my absolute fave is a simple Paisley print (Bandanna).
11. The most adventurous/most challenging nail art you have ever created? A lot of my clients come to me with a specific theme instead of choosing from existing designs. So each manicure is challenging in itself as it’s a first go for me. I love a challenge. MEXICAN TILE PRINTS (see the gallery above) definitely one of my faves. Also an EMILIO PUCCI design, this took a lot of colour blocking and layering but I love how they ended up.
12. The most interesting campaign you’ve ever worked on and why? My favourite campaign thus far would have to be with Australian Designer ‘HIMUMIMDEAD’ for V Magazine (see the gallery above). His designs are loved by such celebs as Rihanna! Artistically Mind blowing! I had a lot of creative freedom with this shoot so I really got to go all out and have fun with the nails. Some designs included Candy Coated Ombre, Eyeball Nails, Panther Studded Stilettos, Chrome Chained and Cockroach Nails. You can view this shoot at vmagazine.com “DIY OR DIE”.
13. How do you get inspired for your nail art? Everyday life is inspiring for me, magazines, clothing, cartoons, nature, people. I’m a very visual person.
14. The most challenging thing when painting nails for fashion week? The biggest challenge for me at fashion week would be lack of time to prep the nails for painting, the girls can turn up from other shows with there nails in a pretty bad state so being a perfectionist I find that difficult. And also being crammed under tables and such painting toes :)
15. One piece of advice you’d give someone wanting to become a professional manicurist? I would find a well known college that offers an all over intensive course. There are too many poorly trained techs out there. And never stop learning. Keep on track with new methods and up to date with all the latest trends.
FIVE FAST NAIL QUESTIONS:
- Gold or Silver? Gold
- Gel or shellac? Gel
- Short or long? Long
- Nail icon? The Illustrated Nail. Amazing!!
- When in doubt do… A classic moon, simple but satisfying.
Find and follow Miss Betty Rose on Facebook and Instagram.
Amie Surtees was interviewed by Maria Vlezko, April 2014. All images courtesy to Amie /Miss Betty Rose.