Electric blue eyeliner is one of the main makeup trends of summer 2014. It’s no longer exclusively for people with blue eyes or grey eyes (as they taught us in makeup course) and no longer is it just for evening (as they told as in drama class). This season, anyone and I repeat anyone can, and should, wear blue eyeliner.
It is fashionable, flattering and delivers a chic, modern look while the rest of your makeup remains low key. The great news is that this look is quite easy to achieve! Scroll down to read our top tips for rocking bright blue eyeliner this summer.
Here’s our top 6 tips on how to wear bright blue eyeliner:
1. The right blue: forget about conservative dark blue pencils and eyeliners aside and go for the brightest blue possible. Try periwinkle, turquoise & electric blue liners like Lancome Art Liner in Sapphire and Dior Addict Liner in It Blue or highly pigmented bright blue eyeshadow like NARS Cosmetics in Outremer.
2. The thicker the better: don’t be worried if your line isn’t perfect, the new bright blue eyeliner look is very forgiving to mistakes. The thicker the better! Starting in the middle of you upper lid, draw a line as close to your lashes as possible. Then, starting from the inner corner of your eye, draw a fine line to connect to the previous line. To create your eyeliner wing, draw a line starting from the last lash outwards and slightly upwards.
3. Flawless matte complexion: choose maximum coverage foundation with a matte effect like NARS Sheer Matte Foundation. Alternatively, mattify your complexion with loose powder. Your skin should have flawless even colour but without looking heavy.
4. Skip the blush: yep, no blush. Maybe some contouring if you’re skilled enough. If not, don’t worry about it.
5. Nude matte lips: choose the lightest possible nude matte lipstick that suits you. If you don’t have matte nude lipstick, pat a bit of loose powder over it to tame the gloss and make it less shiny.
6. Barely there mascara or no mascara: If you have dark eyes or bright eyes that stand out without mascara, skip it. If you feel the need for mascara, add one coat of natural looking lengthening mascara like Clinique Great Length Mascara.
Have you tried wearing bright blue eyeliner yet? Keen to try it?
– Maria, xx
GET THE LOOK: