Have you ever tried to wear black lipstick? Not some kind of dark red, but black. Pure black. I recently did and surprisingly, loved it. Of course, black lipstick is not for everyone and it can be tough to wear. It requires a lot of skill and confidence to pull it off. However, once you know how to wear it, black lipstick can be incredibly chic.
Keen to experiment? Here’s 6 essential tips for wearing black lipstick:
1. Focus on the lips. Black lipstick is a statement in itself. So unless you’re going to a Halloween party, make sure you keep the rest of your makeup light. Quality foundation to ensure a flawless complexion, defined eyebrows and 1-2 coats of mascara is all you need to make the black lip look work well. Also, substitute bronzer with blush (just a touch, though!) to keep your look out of the traditional color palette.
2. Wear black lipstick in the autumnal months or for evening events. A statement colour like this calls for statement clothing. Textured, heavy fabrics in navy, deep greens, and even some reds are a perfect fit with black. White, grey and nude can work well with black lips too, but avoid pairing with pastels.
3. Use a lip brush to apply your lipstick. Black can get messy quickly so you want precise application with a lip brush. Apply from the outer corner of the mouth to center on both lips, then fill in the rest of the pout.
4. Apply lipstick, then liner. Once you’ve applied your lipstick, run a black liner (I used black eyeliner) along the perimeter of your lips to give them distinct borderline preventing the colour from smudging and bleeding.
5. Set your lipstick. After you apply your lipstick, peel off one ply of a tissue, place it on your lips and set it with translucent powder. Use a powder you’d normally use for your face. Apply it over your whole mouth to set and if required, apply a second coat.
6. Wear it with confidence. Black lips are a strong statement, so make sure you wear it like you own the room and believe me, you will! All eyes will be on you.
Make-up: Sisley Phyto Teint Eclat foundation #1 Nude, Sisley Instant Perfect primer, Lancome Hypnose mascara in #1 Black, L’Oreal eyebrow pencil #303, NARS cream blush Douceur, Limecrime Styletto lipstick.
Nails: Limecrime Crema De Limon & Isadora Black.
Do you dare to wear black lipstick? Tell us in the comments below!
– Maria, xx
PS. Make sure to come back tomorrow – we have some exciting news to share!
Did you enjoy this post?
Then stay in touch by subscribing to our Weekly Newsletter or follow us via Bloglovin for daily updates.