Excuse lack of posts this week, guys. Due to the current tragic world events, it’s hard to keep doing ‘business as usual’. Hundreds of people from different countries have joined our peaceful protest, not to mention millions of people protesting against the war in their own ways. Sadly, the conflicts continue. So today’s ‘Rainbow Drops’ drag marble nail art tutorial represents my continued hope for peace. Eventually peace will come, like a rainbow always comes after rain. For the sake of the families and individuals caught up in the violence, we sincerely hope it happens sooner rather than later.
This nail design is relatively easy to do. But if this is your first attempt at drag marbling, it’s well worth practising on a practice wheel or a piece of thick paper first. Once you get comfortable with the technique, there’s plenty of room for experimentation! Drag marbling can be used to create anything from colourful designs like today’s ‘Rainbow Drops’ to everyday looks like these ‘Cloudy Ombre’ nails.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 6 opaque, well-pigmented nail polishes in rainbow colours
- Opaque white nail polish
- Dotting tool
- Top coat & base coat
- Apply 2 coats of opaque white nail polish on all nails. Allow it to dry for 5-10 minutes but don’t let it dry completely.
- Now, work one nail at a time. You’ll need to work quickly so first prepare all the tools and the coloured polishes you’ll be using to create the rainbow drops. Put generous drops of coloured nail polishes on a piece of paper. Put the dotting tool and needle next to them. Now, paint one nail with a 3rd layer of opaque white polish and quickly add coloured dots of overlapping polish as pictured.
- With a needle, gently drag the colourful dots in one direction. Do not use a lot of pressure, your aim is to drag the dots not to scratch your nail.
- Repeat steps 2 & 3 on all nails.
- Clean around the cuticles. If required and seal your design with a generous layer or two of quick drying top coat. Allow sufficient time for your design to dry.
Used: Orly Nailtrition as a base coat, SeaSiren Cosmetics Leucosia (white), Ulta3 polishes – Calypso Holyday (blue), Mojit (green), Exotic Canary (yellow), Peach Paradise (coral), Sunset Pink (pink) and Sally Hansen Big Shiny Top Coat. Wearing ‘Precious Stones’ midi ring.
Have you tried doing drag marble nail art designs before? Are you keen to try this ‘Rainbow Drop’ look?
If you do try it, make sure you tag @So_Nailicious in your photo on Instagram, I’d love to see your work!
– Maria, xx