“Wish I could do nail art too but I don’t have any tools…” I hear this quite often. Well, joining the nail art club is much easier than it may seem. You don’t have go out and spend a fortune on fancy nail art tools, all you need is some motivation and a little imagination! To get your creative juices flowing we have compiled some of the most handy DIY nail art tools that are hiding in your drawer at home. These DIY tools will allow you to create awesome nail art with ease, regardless of your creativity or perceived skill level.
The best 8 DIY nail art tools:
1. Scotch Tape: You don’t need to have the world’s most steady hand to create perfect zig-zags or stripes; all you need is scotch tape to guide you. Make sure the base colour is completely dry before applying your tape, then all you need to do is paint over the top and quickly, but carefully, remove the tape to reveal your design. Try this Diagonal French manicure or Chevron nails.
2. Tooth Picks: Who needs “dotting tools” when you have tooth picks lying around the house. Simply dip the end in polish and apply in a dotting motion to create your desired look, like this dotticure for instance. The possibilities are endless when it comes to DIY dotting tools. Things like bobby pins, pencil tips, sewing needles or the ends of paper clips can all be used.
3. Fan Brush: You might have one of these in an old paint brush set or perhaps even in your makeup bag. A fan brush can be used to create multiple fine lines with ease. Just dip the fan brush into your polish and glide it over your nails for instant nail art. Change the colour and repeat for an interesting, layered nail art look.
4. Make-Up Sponge: Love the gradient manicure / ombre nails look but not sure how to achieve it? Simple answer, make-up sponge. After applying your base coat, paint your ombre colours on the sponge in lines, then press onto your nail. Repeat this process until you are happy with the gradient then apply a top coat to seal in your design.
5. Straws: Straws can be used to create the popular splatter nail art look. They can also be dipped in polish and carefully pressed on to the nail to create circles.
6. Glad Wrap/Cling Wrap: Glad wrap can be used to create a pattern on your nails by scrunching it up, dipping it in the polish and dabbing it onto your nail to create your desired look. You can even create marble nails with humble glad wrap.
7. Aluminum Foil: Just like glad wrap, aluminum foil can be used to create a pattern on your nails. Something like this, for instance.
8. Band aids: Band aids can be used in place of nail decals to help you create shapes on your nails or to do colour blocking nail art. Those tiny circular band aids, you know, the ones you use for blisters, are perfect for creating a half moon manicure. The normal sized band aids can be used to create a colour blocking nail art look, the possibilities are endless!
These are just a few examples of DIY nail art tools that are hiding in your drawer. There are plenty more, you just need to use your imagination to find them.
What are your favourite DIY nail art tools? Is there is anything that we could add to the list above? Please share your ideas below in the comments section.