“How do you get so many Instagram followers?” that’s a question I’ve been asked quite a bit recently. While 80,000 followers may seem like a great number, in the ocean of Instagram, I’m just a tuna compared to the Insta-megalodons like Tammy from @OhMyGoshPolish with 1,400,000 followers.
Tamara joined Instagram at Christmas 2011, now 5 years later her account is the biggest personal nail account on Instagram. Tamara says she’s always been “obsessed with nails, nail art and art in general”, so it was easy to decide on her Instagram subject. She’s an avid advocate of Instagram as an important social media channel regardless whether you’re a brand or an individual: “It provides an instant interaction, gives individuals and companies brand control”. Tamara adds “you can blog or sell products just on Instagram. @Stylishnailart does just that and she is very successful.”
So dear readers, if you haven’t been paying much attention to your Instagram, it’s time to begin. If anyone knows how to get more Instagram followers organically*, it’s Tamara. Read her handy expert advice below!
10 Tips On How To Get More Instagram Followers **:
- Make a decision about your Instagram Account’s direction and stick to it. For instance, don’t start out as a Fashion Blogger then start posting photo’s of puppies, people don’t tend to like a ‘Bate and Switch’ scenario. Its ok to post unrelated photo’s every now and then but if you do it too often your followers will just unfollow.
- Don’t spam your followers feed, leave at least 2 hours between posts.
- Post according to seasons but also think outside the box and post bright colours in winter, it gives people a warm fuzzy feeling to see Bright Summery colours when its cold outside. Also look at your account as a whole, the colours you are posting etc when a user comes to your page you want them to see it as pleasing to the eye before they ‘read’ (not a lot of reading happens on Instagram) anything as its the photo’s you post that will attract them.
- Avoid posting too many personal photos. It’s ok to give a glimpse into your personal life, however these posts should only be posted at ‘Non-Peak’ times and be infrequent. Or, create a personal account for those photos.
- Get to Know your followers, e.g. where they are from? What they are interested in? etc.. ask them for their opinion.
- Respond to your followers questions, Instagram is interactive.
- Research who you are posting to and where in the world they are situated and post accordingly.
- Give back. Give your followers something for nothing! Giveaway’s are fun and everyone loves free stuff plus they are a great way to get noticed.
- Advertise. If your profile is business related, go to the Explore page (the most Popular photo’s on Instagram at any one time, these photo’s cycle through the Explore page for a period of 4 hours) and look for large accounts that do Sponsored posts. These pages will charge you a set fee to post your content to their followers. Kind of like ‘Word of Mouth’ for Instagram.
- Connect. Get to know who are the Influencers are in your field e.g. Instagram Bloggers and contact them to see if they are willing to receive your products for review.
Are you on Instagram? What are your best tips for growing your following?
If you would like Tamara Unwin to help you to grow your business or blog on Instagram, she provides private consultations and has a proven track of successful results. Email Tammy directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*, ** Editor’s Note: as attractive as it may be getting some dodgy instant Instagram followers will not do any good for your brand. Ratio 10,000 followers and 20 likes per photo will always look suspicious. Those fake followers that may make your account look ‘popular’ will not add any actual value to your business or brand. They are not interested in your business as they are what they are – just a number. So don’t look for easy ways to grow your following do it organically, do your ‘homework’, follow the great tips above and you’ll see great results sooner then you expected.
Want more social media tips?
Sign up to our dedicated Social Media Newsletter – just for social media and blogging articles and news.