You can make your face look younger with makeup, dye your hair to cover the greys but what can you do to improve the appearance of hands? Well, actually quite a lot if you start early! This may not be a huge concern when you’re 18 but believe me, when you pass 25, your concerns start to rise with every new spot and wrinkle. Of course it’s impossible to stay forever young, but there are plenty of things that can be done to prolong the youth of your hard working hands.
I asked Vicki Engsall, co-founder of The Jojoba Company, to share her best anti-ageing tips. She is also the company’s Product Director and has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to preserving youthful looking skin. So if there is someone who can help us turn back time (skin wise), it’s Vicky!
Top 5 tips for younger looking hands:
1. Moisturise Intensively: Apply hand cream every time after washing the hands and whenever they feel dry or dehydrated. It’s absolutely crucial for preserving your hands’ youth.
2. Apply Your Hand Cream Properly: The best way to apply hand lotion is to squeeze it onto the back of your hand and rub the back’s of your hands together. Then spread the lotion out with your palms to finish. You’ll end up delivering the bulk of the product to the part that needs it most.
3. Keep It Rich: The skin on the back of your hands is very different to the skin on your palms. The skin on top of your hands is much thinner and has less sebaceous glands, meaning it can become dry very quickly. In comparison, the skin on your palms is a lot thicker, so for moisture to penetrate this area a hand cream needs to be rich and full of moisture binding ingredients.
4. Gloves Are Girl’s Best Friend: I would recommend using a hand cream at night and putting gloves on top while you sleep. The gloves will protect against moisture loss. During the day apply moisturiser just to the backs of your hands (which are usually the driest) leaving your fingertips and palms grease-less.
5. Size Matters: If you are using an oil hand cream such as pure jojoba, then just one small pump would be enough. If you are using more of a cream based hand cream, then a 10 cent coin size should be enough. It depends really on how dry the hands are and what the consistency of the hand cream/oil/lotion is.
What are your best tips for keeping your hands looking young? Anything else that you’d add to the list above?
Sharing is caring! So come on, share your best tips and favourite anti-ageing hand care products in the comments below.
– Maria, xx