Great Gatsby fever has affected us in our own unique nailicious way. As soon as we saw the trailer an idea for Gatsby nails was born! We used striping tape to create a sharp art deco pattern and metal studs to add an extra dimension. As for the colours, naturally we opted for rich black and gold to match the decadence of the era.
Gatsby nails are quite easy to do, just follow our nail art tutorial below. It does require some time and patience so if you’re short on time, just create the pattern on one accent nail and paint your other nails in solid black.
- Apply a protective base coat. Apply 1-2 coats of gold shimmer polish on all nails. Let it touch dry.
- Create the art deco pattern as pictured with striping tape. Make sure the tape is attached properly to the nail so the polish can’t bleed.
- Paint 2 coats of black polish over the pattern.
- Carefully remove the tape to reveal the pattern*.
- Using a toothpick dipped in top coat to attach the stud to the nail as pictured. Move onto the next nail & repeat steps 3, 4, 5.
- When all nails are done, wait a few more minutes and apply 2-3 top coat layers on each nail to even out the surface.
*We are often asked when is the best time to remove the striping tape. Straight after the nail is painted or once the polish is dry. The answer depends on the polish. The more you try different polishes, the more you’ll become aware of their unique properties. For this Gatsby nail art we used classic Revlon shades. With Revlon polish, we’d recommend removing the tape immediately after the nail is painted. They dry relatively fast but they also become quite flexible so if you wait too long before removing the tape, the polish will stretch with the tape.
So, how do you like our decadent Gatsby nails? Will you be trying this nail design or have you done your own Gatsby nails recently? Either way, Tweet or Instagram us a photo of your pretty nails (tag #sonailicious), we’d love to see them!