WARNING! Orly Gel Fx Shade Shifter is addictive!
Recently SoNailicious met and interviewed Orly’s Australian Ambassador and a celebrity manicurist, Fiona Hay. She was friendly, knowledgeable and technically brilliant and she also did this amazing manicure with one of Orly’s most recent innovations – Shade Shifter.
It’s a thermal gel top coat that darkens your base gel manicure to an almost black shade when it’s cool. In warmer environments (when if you’re feeling hot) Orly Gel Fx Shade Shifter will become transparent, progressively revealing your base manicure (in our case – emerald green shade). It’s so amusing to watch the color change! Sometimes the dark shade crawls over your base creating the most perfect ombre effect, sometimes it looks like tie dye. Orly Shade Shifter is perfect for playing around with in winter when you’re moving in and out of the cold. Or, if it’s summer in your part of the world, take them for a swim!
Check this out…
Read on for technical details and our review on Orly Gel Fx and Orly Gel Fx Shade Shifter.
- Finish: High shine, extremely glossy.
- Formula: A gel manicure is similar to any other in that it consists of a base coat, polish and top coat. The formula of the base coat and primer are particularly important as they serve as a protective barrier between your nails and gel.
Orly Basecoat – Enriched with vitamins A and E help to promote healthy nails and pro-vitamin B5 to protect the structure of the natural nail.
Orly Gel Fx formula – Well pigmented gel. 3-4 coats needed for full coverage.
Orly Gel Fx Shade Shifter – A sheer black thermal top coat, 2 coats of which can darken the base polish to an almost black shade.
- Application: Orly Gel Fx formula is more liquid than other gels. It comes in polish bottles and is applied just like a polish. The layers are thinner and consequently the end result looks more like regular polish than a gel. It takes about 40 minutes to complete an Orly Gel Fx manicure. LED lamps are used to cure the gel resulting in faster curing times.
- Wearability: Chip-free1-2 weeks. Our mani started chipping after 10 days.
- Removal: It was more tricky to remove the Orly Gel Fx manicure than for instance, Bio Sculpture mani. Bio Sculpture gel simply fell off nails after 15 mins of soaking. Following the same procedure, Orly gel stayed put and only the boarders fell off. You have to scratch the gel off your nails with a manicure stick and it can be tricky. You can damage your nails easily if you don’t know what you’re doing. So we’d recommend removing Orly Gel nails in a salon only.
- Nail Art: One of the many advantages of gel is you can create any nail art you like. Gel won’t dry until you’ve cured it, so you can create the pattern without any rush.