To continue on subject of glitter, we have the whole new Maybelline NY Brocades nail polish collection to show you today. It’s a limited edition collection that will be available during January to March 2014 only. Even though it’s a drugstore brand, the speed with which Maybelline have been pumping out new nail shades and the quality of nail polishes make them a serious player on nail polish market. They’re affordable and they’re different.
Now, without further ado, let’s have a closer look at their most recent installment – Brocades!
- Formula: Very thick, highly pigmented and 3-free but not fast drying.
- Application: even though the polishes have high density of glitter you’d still need at least 2 coats to ensure full coverage.
- Finish: Large hexagonal glitter particles in a holographic fine glitter base. The high density glitter in this nail polish makes the surface very bumpy and uneven (even more bumpy then Illamasqua Destiny), so it is recommended to apply 2-3 layers of a high gloss top coat to even it all out.
- Brush: Very soft brush, it feels like the polish needs a more rigid brush for such heavy and thick glitter.
- Wearability: With a top coat it lasted 3 days chip free.
- Nail Art: We wouldn’t recommend it as a base for nail art due to it’s bumpy finish but it would be amazing for all types of glitter gradients and accent nail looks.
- Extra comments: Note, as with any glitter, Maybelline Brocades polish is difficult to remove – follow the soaking method.
Disclaimer: products were provided by PR, opinions expressed are our own. Full disclosure policy here.
Overall Impression: A stunning collection of statement glitter nail polishes – fantastic colours and highly pigmented formula. Due to the thickness of the Maybelline Brocades formula, it is difficult to achieve smooth nail surface. But in general, they are a great and affordable alternative to more expensive polishes of similar shades. For example, Maybelline NY 220 Knitted Gold is identical to the famous Ciate Antique Brooch.
Favorite shade: Maybelline NY 222 Beaming Blue (pictured above).
Availability: in Australia $5.95, available from now till March 2014 at Priceline, Target: in the USA – $3.99 online at Ulta.com here.
How do you like Maybelline NY Brocades? Which colour is your favorite?