Half moon nails or the Reverse French manicure, is one of my favorite nail designs. It’s versatile so it suits any nail shape or length and it also allows for a lot of experimentation. You can do anything from loose glitter half moons to tiny edgy half moon details.
If you’re good with a nail art brush then this design is also quick to do. The key to a great looking half moon design is getting each nail identical. That’s the tricky part, particularly if you’re doing a more complex version like today’s Upgraded Half Moon design. There’s three identical lines on each nail but fear not, it’s still totally doable with just a nail brush. But if you’re not a brush-master yet, we’ve got an easier way of doing it. You’re going to love today’s tutorial!
YOU WILL NEED:
- Peach, bright orchid and silver nail polishes
- A fast-drying top coat
- A thick striping nail art brush
- Classic French manicure guides
- Apply your favorite base and follow up with two coats of peach nail polish. Apply 1 coat of fast-drying top coat. Let it dry for 10 minutes.
- Once the base is is dry, apply French manicure guides* (as pictured) on all nails.
- With a striping nail art brush, apply silver nail polish as pictured on all nails.
- Accurately remove the tape.
- With a striping nail art brush, use bright purple nail polish fill the space between the silver lines.
- Accurately clean up around the cuticles and apply two coats of a clear fast-drying top coat on all nails.
*Make sure you attach the stencils really well to the nail. Poor adhesion may cause the polish bleed under the stencil (see the Step 4 photo).
Wearing: Dainty midi ring.
Are you a fan of Half Moon nails? What do you think about the Upgraded look? Would you give it a go with a brush or you do you think it’s easier to use stencils?
– Maria, xx