More than just a quick fix for nail emergencies, nail files play an important role in keeping your nails smooth and healthy. Traditional emery boards, steel nail files or glass nail files…. we all have one sitting in the bottom of our hand bag or in our drawer. Is there a difference? Is one more superior than the other? Certainly, I have switched to using a glass nail file a year ago and I have never looked back!
So, keep reading to find out why a glass nail file is a MUST have.
5 Reasons why you should use a glass nail file:
1. Prevent splits & breakages: Typical emery boards and steel nail files are quite rough, often damaging your nails if not used correctly. A glass nail file smooths and seals the freshly filed edges, reducing the nails susceptibility to splits and breakages. Emery boards are meant to be used in one directions (although they rarely are), glass nail files however, used in any direction will seal the keratin layers together at the edge of the nail, preventing any peeling and chipping from occurring. If your nails are especially fragile, investing in a glass nail file could help bring them back to into shape.
2. They do not dull over time: Glass nail files last significantly longer than an emery board. Quality glass nail files will never wear down. In fact, if they are well looked after, they should last you a life time. Some brands even offer a lifetime guarantee.
3. Efficiency: The finer surface of a glass nail file allows filing to be more precise, which makes targeting specific areas a breeze. The filing and smoothing effect is achieved in the one motion, which is a major time saver.
4. Hygiene: Unlike emery boards – which should never come into contact with water, glass nail files can be rinsed in hot water, washed in soapy water and can even be sterilised. Being able to clean your nail file is crucial in avoiding the spread of germs and bacteria, which will reduce the likelihood of contracting any nasty nail infections.
5. Longevity: Glass nail files will not wear down, corrode or rot. They are not porous like emery boards so they can be cleaned regularly without it affecting the product.
On the final note, to get the most out of your glass nail file and to prevent prevent file breakage, I’d strongly recommend that you handle your glass nail file with care and store them appropriately. Because these files are made of glass, if dropped they can break. They are however, made from safety glass which means that they will not shatter into a million pieces, they will just simply crack. But let’s hope you won’t see this happen to your favourite nail file and it will serve you and your nails well for as long as you want it to.
What about you, do use a glass nail file or have you tried using it yet?
– Katie Cerff
Want to learn how to file nails correctly or how to get the perfect oval shape, watch the video below.