Negative space manicures aren’t new to nail art enthusiasts but it seems like they’ve finally made their big entrance into the fashion world. At the recent New York Fashion Week approximately 1/3 of all the nail designs were negative space nails. The 2 other main looks were gradients and various types of French manicure. That means negative space nails will be a huge trend in 2015! No wonder, this type of chic geometric nail design adds an interesting twist to any beauty look.
One of the most interesting negative space nail designs was at the Kye Spring 2015 show – black and white with the mismatched geometric shapes. The nail design was created by Rose Velez-Miggins for INM Nails. Today we’re showing how to re-create this high fashion nail art at home! Just follow our step-by-step tutorial below.
YOU WILL NEED:
- Black and white opaque nail polish
- A ridge filling base
- A glossy top coat
- A matte topcoat
- Striping tape
- Start by prepping your nails. With negative space nails the condition and colour of your nails are particularly important. So first apply your usual nail strengthener and follow up with a ridge filler base to ensure flawlessly smooth and evenly coloured nail plate.
- Once the base is is dry, apply nail art tape* in graphic shapes as pictured on all nails.
- Paint over each nail with one coat of either black or white nail polish.
- Now work one nail at a time. Apply second coat of either black or white polish (depending with each finger you start this step) and accurately remove the tape. Repeat on all fingers.
- Accurately clean up around cuticle.
- Apply a glossy top coat over all finger nails, except for the middle finger – use a matte top coat over it.
*Note 1: bright striping tape may stain your base leaving bright marks along the negative space edge, so it’s better to use some lightly coloured (silver or clear) tape and definitely not the red one, like we did.
*Note 2: if you’re good with a nail art brush, ditch the tape and simply paint your nails leaving the geometric areas unpainted. It’s much easier and faster that way.
Used: Orly Nailtrition and Essie Ridge Filler as a base, Sea Siren Leucosia (white) and Midnight Moves (black), Essie Matte About You and Sally Hansen Big Shiny top coat. Wearing Sportsgirl ring throughout.
Are you a fan of negative space nails? Will you be trying it anytime soon?
– Maria, xx