It’s been a great year! As we say goodbye to 2013, let’s look back at some of the best nail trends:
- Stiletto Nails. In 2012 Lana Del Rey popularised stiletto nails. By mid 2013 many celebrities including Lady Gaga, Rhianna, Rita Ora and even the constantly twerking Miley Cyrus were all sporting stilettos.
- White Nails. Since June 2013, white nails (image by Pshiiit) have been everywhere. No wonder, what colour highlights tanned skin better than white?
- Nail Art Books. In March 2013 we published our first nail art book 30 Easy Nail Art Designs. In May 2013 Madeline Poole’s Nails, Nails, Nails! was released and in September WAH Nails’ published their second nail art book. Learning nail art has never been easier!
- The Great Gatsby Nails. It’s doubtful Baz Lemman was aiming to create storm in the nail art community but it did happen! Gatsby nails of all shapes and colours invaded the interwebs taking the Gatsby legacy to a new areas of expression.
- Zooey Deschanel’s nails. Again. Zooey Deschanel Instagrammed a picture of her tuxedo nails at the 2012 Golden Globes and they immediatly went viral. At the 2013 awards it was a “Film Strip” manicure, the original photo of which is in the photo gallery above. We can’t wait to see what she chooses in 2014.
- Nailgasm, the documentary. This doco made by Ayla “BRASS” Montgomery “explores the current nail art trend popularity across the globe and it’s surprising impact on female entrepreneurship”It’s official, the world is going nail crazy!
- Textured Nails. Who knew OPI’s ground breaking Liquid Sands launch in 2012 would begin one of the biggest nail trends in 2013?! Every brand soon launched their own version of textured nails – Sally Hansen Fuzzy Coats, Zoya PixieDust, IsaDora Sugar Nails, OPI continued with the Liquid Sands, ORLY’s Mega Pixel and FOA’s Carnivale. This year, textured nails have secured a place alongside a more traditional finishes, like glitter, shimmer and cremes.
- Nail It Magazine. Yep, as of January 2013 nail art enthusiasts have their own print magazine too.
- Marc Jacobs Beauty Launch: this highly anticipated beauty range is available exclusively via Sephora. We have already obtained a bottle or three of these stunning new nail polishes. Marc Jacobs are totally worth it!
- “Nail Art is Dead, Long Live Nail Art!”. This year we’ve heard so many times various publications and journalists, including the high profile Vogue with Anna Wintour declaring the death of nail art. Oh well, sorry to disappoint you Anna & Co but nail art is still here and, by the looks of it, isn’t going to disappear in the near future. If the new nail art books, petabytes of Instagram photos, new blogs and magazines isn’t enough to convince you, bring your glasses to the next fashion show so you can see what’s on the model’s nails. Nail art is dead, long live nail art!
So goodbye 2013, you’ve been bright and full of glitter. Get your brushes ready, guys and let’s relish all the nail adventures 2014 brings our way! Together, we’ll make this world more polished, one nail at a time ;)