So it’s out! The movie, the polish collection and now the SoNailicious 50 Shades Of Grey nail art too. If you follow me on Instagram (you’re awesome), you’ve seen that last night I attended the Australian premiere of the 50 Shades Of Grey. It was also the day when I decided to create a nail design showcasing the OPI collection that carries the same name. I could probably get away with something sweet representing the love of Christian Grey and Anastasia Steel. Rather than sweet romance, there’s a bit of a danger, edginess and smouldering passion to the movie and presumably the book. So that’s the theme of today’s manicure (cue whiplash sound).
Now, this nail art is a bit more complicated than our typical tutorials, creating the perfect straight lines is a bit tricky but don’t despair, we’ll guide you through!
- Apply 2 coats of silver glitter polish on all nails, I used OPI Shine For Me. Wait till it’s dry before proceeding to the next step.
- To ease the job of creating the straight lines and mark the triangles, apply striping tape in a cross that intersects near the centre of each nail.
- Now, work one colour on each nail at a time. First, using the striping brush paint light grey triangles on all nails as pictured. Don’t worry at this time about perfect edges, just a rough triangle will do (we’ll fix it later).
- Now you need to focus – work slowly and take your time. Using the striping brush* paint thin silver lines outlining the light grey triangles. Do this on all nails as pictured.
- Next, work one nail at a time. Use the same brush to paint dark grey lines right next to the silver lines as pictured. Remove the striping tape immediately.**
- Repeat step 5 on all nails.
- Using the same brush, add thin red triangle details on all nails as pictured.
- Clean up around cuticles and apply 2-3 coats of clear fast drying top coat. Allow sufficient time for your design to dry.
* Clean and dry your brush after each colour. It’s essential!
** If your lines didn’t turn out straight the first time, go over each line again with the same colour and straighten the lines. Cover any flows, correct the width and sharpen the corners. After that proceed to step 8.
Now it’s time for some 50 shades of grey magic! OPI Shine For Me looks so different under direct sunlight – such a beautiful, super shiny polish!
Used: Orly Bonder base coat, Sally Hansen Diamond Flash top coat, all polishes OPI 50 Shades of Grey collection – Shine For Me (base), Dark Side Of The Mood (dark grey), Cement The Deal (light grey), My Silk Tie (silver) and Romantically Involved (red). You can get all polishes here or here.
So what do you think about our 50 Shades Of Grey nail art? Are you excited to see the movie?
– Maria, xx