I’m often asked what’s my favourute polish of a certain colour, black, white or blue etc. So I’ve decided to begin a new series Top 5 that will cover my highest ranked polishes in each colour. Although technically, it’s not a colour, let’s start with black anyway.
Black nail polish is a must-have lacquer for every beauty lover. Plain black nails look fantastic and of course, black is essential for nail art.
My all-time favourite 5 black nail polishes are:
- Dior Black Out*. This is much more than just a black nail polish. With a subtle dark shimmer, this ultra-glossy and fast drying black creme looks fantastic on its own, see it in action here. It’s great for any kind of nail art, here’s an example. You’ll need 2 thin coats to get it fully opaque. Dior is 5-free and has a wide rounded brush that makes application so easy. *It’s a limited edition shade that was released as a part of the Dior Cosmopolite collection and is currently sold out. You might lucky enough to find one at your local Dior Beauty counter. Since black is very popular right now, I’d say it’s likely we’ll see it re-released soon. So keep checking online here and for Australians – here.
- Sea Siren Midnight Moves, here $15.95. This is thinner than the other four black nail polishes and you’ll need 3 thin coats to get it fully opaque, but the formula is superb, it’s cruelty-free, 5-free and made right here in Australia. Plenty of reasons to be second on my best black list. It’s well suited as a base for nail art, gradient manicures or when you need a softer black polish for details. See a Midnight Moves example here.
- Isadora Black Lacquer, here £5.35 Opaque in 1 coat, need I say more? Use it for nail art details or as a base. It’s very glossy and has excellent brush.
- Orly Liquid Vinyl, here $5.50. Similar to Isadora in that it’s almost a one-coatter. I use it mostly for nail art details when I need a quick drying, true black. Here and here for instance.
- Faby Black Is Black, here $18.00. Another great black nail polish, similar to Orly but it goes on nail in much thinner layers and dries even faster. Like all Faby lacquers, it has a fantastic brush for precise application. You’ll need 2 good coats to get it fully opaque.
Make sure you scroll through the image gallery above for swatches and comparison of these black beauties.
Have you tried any of the these? What’s your favorite black nail polish?
– Maria, xx