SoNailicious turns 1 today! Time flies, I still remember March 2012 making sketches of the new site. It took more than 6 months to bring those sketches into fruition, we launched in November 2012. It took a lot of courage to actually begin and even more courage to continue. With the benefit of hindsight, it was a year with so many useful lessons, great discoveries and some fabulous victories along the way.
Here are the 12 most remarkable nail facts we learned from our first year:
- We tried over 40 different products over 4 months just to find the 5 best top coats. Then, we tried some more! And, the 5 best top coats part 2 came to life. Staying glossy and drying a manicure has never been easier!
- We wrote SO many articles about cuticle care that there is simply no excuse for our readers to have damaged cuticles. Check out our 3 easy steps to healthy cuticles.
- We interviewed one of the brightest stars of the Australian nail industry, celebrity manicurist, Fiona Hay. Did we tell you she did our nails once too? Psst.. these ones!
- For International Polka Dot Day we created these gold and black polka dot nails. They basically flooded Interwebs and are now looking at you from every possible nail art aggregating website. Little did we know back then how important it is to watermark photos properly.
- Nail Instagram mega-star Brie aka Strawbrie was kind enough to share her top 5 nail art tips for beginners.
- BeautyHigh wrote about our Abu Dhabi inspired nails “These nails are fit for a queen, and though we’re worthy, we’ll leave this one to the professionals…” (here). Here at SoNailicious, we’re not professional manicurists, neither are few dozens of SoNailicious readers who later re-created this design. You guys rock! Evidence is right here that together we’re taking it to the next level.
- We did 19 step-by-step nail art tutorials. We’re planning to make even more next year, with video tutorials!
- Two new features Ask SoNailicious and SoNailicious Asks were added to the current set. Feel free to ask us anything anytime, we love talking!
- We interviewed some of the most popular nail bloggers on the planet, including Chelsea of Get Nailed and Jen of The Polishaholic.
- The Great Gatsby nails were re-pinned over 10,000 times!?
- SoNailicious went on tour! We travelled around the world discovering some of the best local nail polish brands and created nail art inspired by each country. Yes, that’s where the Matryoshka Doll Nails come from!
- We wrote not just one but two nail art books. ‘30 Easy Nail Designs’ was launched in March this year followed by ‘The Fuzzy Nail Art Guide’ in October. Do we plan to write more books in 2014? Maybe, if you ask ;)
Our final and most important achievement is… you, our amazing readers! In person or online, we met so many fantastic and talented people from all around the world. At the end of the day, it’s your involvement and support, ie. comments, emails and tweets that keep us going, push us forward and give us energy to try new things to make SoNailicious even better. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you so much for your support!
Next year will be even more exciting! We have already some new sketches in the diary waiting to see the light of day, so stick around! Together we’ll make this world a more polished place!
Maria – Founder and Editor
Joseph – Creative Director
Anastasia – Junior Editorial Assistant
Share, if you like: